Spelling – Building words with Buddy
How to Teach Spelling in Trickles Writing
Select: Choose three words from each lesson and one sight word to use as a spelling list.
Underline or highlight any difficult parts of the words.
Imagine the words on a visual board 12” in front of the forehead.
Spell the words orally. Spell forwards and backwards pointing to each letter.
(Next try spelling the words back-and-forth. first letter, last letter, second, letter etc. till you finish with the center letter.)
Test: Every three lessons is a more comprehensive spelling test. The child will write two new words in the spelling journal, then test on four words from the previous lessons. If these words are not mastered, add them to the next lesson, or practice them with Hands-on Fun Spelling Activities from the lessons.
- Write out the new sight word on an index card.
- Show the card to your child, and say the word, and have the child repeat it.
This is the word, “the,” say “the.”
- Next, spell the word out loud. Have your child point to the letters as you spell it. Then, say the word again.
“the, t-h-e, the.”
- Use the word in a sentence. Then, have the child use the word in a sentence.
“I am coming to the party.”
- Write the word in the air.
- Imagine the child is using a visual board 12 inches in front of the eyes, as wide as the shoulders. This is the visual memory field. Words can be imaged on this board in any color, which helps the child remember.
- Spell the word forwards and backwards for visual memory. (t-h-e, e-h-t)
- For fun and mastery, try pointing and spelling back and forth – first, last, and middle (t-h-e, t-e-h)
- Practice writing the word without looking at the card. (Practice may be done on a chalkboard, or with a crayon, on a whiteboard, or in a notebook.)
- Show the card to the child to correct any errors.
- Re-spell the word on the “visual board” as necessary.
Note: For children who struggle with memory, try coloring particular letters to help them recognize phonetic blends and digraphs which are mentioned in the lessons.